Click here for Latest Ankara Styles >> Read More
This disconnected undercut is when your hair is short on the sides and long on top. Instead of blending the sides with the hair on top, there’s a sharp contrast or transition between the two. In this way, the two sides are “disconnected” which gives it a cool and edgy look. This disconnection is usually called a hard part line or surgical line. Longer hair is usually slicked back or back and to the side, which is called a modern quiff. This cut also referred to as simply an “undercut.” The length of this is best when your hair touches anywhere between your eyebrows and the bottom of your chin.
Fades on Undercut Haircuts
Typically, there will be a slight fade on the sides and back leading up to line separating it from the top. Lately, the fade has been getting shorter. Some men prefer a bald fade at the bottom and some prefer a more gradual fade, up to a size 1 guard near the top. If you’re not comfortable with a bald fade, then ask your barber for the clipper to be set between #1 and #3. A more modern look is to have a taper fade at the bottom, to give your undercut a more natural and clean style.
How to Cut an Undercut
- Ask about your current hair length and if you should grow it to be longer on top.
- Let them know what kind of fade you want, if at all. If they use clippers, ask for anywhere between a 0 and 3.
- Ask for to a taper fade around the very edges of the neckline for that clean and modern look.
- Ask for extra space around your ears so that as your short hair on the side grows, it won’t grow over your ears as quickly.
- Ask for them to texturize your hair for a messier look and if you have thicker hair, this will naturally thin it out.
- Take advantage of their expertise and ask them how you should style based on your hair length, type, face shape, time and product budget.
- Save a couple of pictures of your favorite looks on your phone and show your barber.
Styling Disconnected Hairstyles
- Start with wet hair and add a control and volumizing product, also known as a pre-styler that sets the foundation.
- Take a brush or comb and blow dry from front to back or to the side and back until your hair is dry.
- Use a quarter size amount of a clay wax with a matte finish, texture clay or a pomade and rub all through your hair.
- Either use a comb to comb it back for a clean look or use your fingers for a more casual, messy look.
- Finish with a holding spray if you plan on being a little more active that day.
Check out the popular video by BluMaan on how to style this haircut:
Below are some of this year’s most popular undercut haircuts and hairstyles. These are sure to be a hit with young boys, hipsters, and men in their 30’s and 40’s. You’ll see a mix of styles from pompadours, side parts, messy, quiffs, casual and formal. Whether your hair is thick, thin, wavy, curly or fine, you’ll find a cool cut for you. In the mix are also some disconnected Asian undercut hairstyles hot from Korea and Japan.
Skiibo - Free Dating & Chat App DOWNLOAD SKIIBO APP