Before we delve into the big questions, let’s take a look at what dandruff is all about. Dandruff refers to the tiny flakes of dead skin on the scalp that usually cause an itching sensation. It can lead to a whole lot of problems, such as, a dry scalp and hair fall. Owing to our hectic lifestyles and dietary habits, dandruff has become a growing concern. So, a set of experts from Lybrate – well-known doctors and homeopaths – are here to answer the most common questions regarding the causes and prevention of dandruff. Read on and pose your queries to get a free reply from a Lybrate expert.
1. What Are The Most Common Causes Of Dandruff?
There are various types of dandruff, usually caused by certain medical conditions. The most common dandruff is caused as a result of a fungus called Malassezia. These fungi usually live on the scalp in a dormant state. At times, unknown circumstances instigate them to proliferate, due to which the scalp begins to flake.
The other type of dandruff is called Seborrheic Dermatitis that results in greasy flaking, and an inflamed, red scalp. This condition, commonly called as the Cradle Cap, can also happen to infants, and can affect the armpits and other parts of the face too.
Psoriasis also affects the scalp and results in an overgrowth of skin cells which eventually flake and thicken.
Apart from these medical conditions, hormonal changes, heart disease, anemia, autoimmune disorders, stress, worry, hereditary problems, and nutritional deficiencies can also cause dandruff.
2. Does Dandruff Lead To Hair Fall?
Most people who suffer from dandruff also report hair loss. There seems to be a connection between dandruff and hair fall. It is possible that what causes one issue, also causes the other. Dandruff usually causes itching, and when you scratch, the trauma caused to the follicles could lead to hair loss. Well, both the problems are not very flattering. The good news is that both the conditions can be treated and, more often than not, by the same remedy. It is very important to treat dandruff before you opt for hair loss treatments, if both the problems are inter-..
3. What Should We Include In Our Diet To Prevent And Reduce Dandruff?
A good balanced diet is essential for healthy living. It also helps in keeping the scalp and hair healthy. Here are a few dietary changes you can make to curb dandruff:
- Include green leafy vegetables, nuts, fresh fruits, and pulses in your diet.
- Eggs contain important nutrients, proteins, zinc, iron, vitamin B12, and a generous amount of omega-6 fatty acids, and all these nutrients are extremely essential for a healthy scalp. Therefore, include eggs in your diet.
- Load up on vitamins, especially vitamin B.
- Follow a protein-rich diet.
- Make sure you have eight to ten glasses of water every day.
- Completely avoid spicy food, fried food, ketchup, and aerated drinks.
4. How Can We Get Rid Of Dandruff Naturally?
Maintaining personal hygiene is extremely essential. Not only will it help in eliminating the dandruff, but it will also prevent it from recurring.
Shampooing your hair on a daily basis is not a good idea.This will turn your scalp dry and flaky. If you suffer from dandruff, wash your hair thrice a week, making sure you massage your scalp with oil before you wash it. Avoid using hair sprays and gels. They don’t do any good to your hair.
To maintain a healthy, dandruff-free scalp, it is extremely essential to increase blood circulation. Combing your hair thoroughly every day will help regulate the blood flow. Massage well with Jaborandi hair oil. It will help in killing the fungus, and thus reducing dandruff.
Reducing unnecessary stress and extreme anger will also help in eliminating dandruff. Make sure you get your sound eight-hour sleep and exercise regularly.
You could also use DIY remedies using neem leaves, fenugreek, and lemon. They all have properties that will help thwart the dandruff.
5. Name Some Safe Alternative Medicines To Cure Dandruff.
- Use Arbor. Vit200 to cure dandruff. Add 5 drops of the medicine in little water, and drink before you sleep. Do this for a week.
- Take 4 drops of Phosphorus 30 in a little bit of water and consume twice a day for about 15 days.
- Take 5 drops of Thuja 200, once a week in the mornings.
- Mix one part of coconut oil with one part of Arnica Q and one part of Cochleria Arom, and apply it on your scalp thrice a week.
- Mix 4 drops of Wiesbaden 200 in a little water, and consume twice a day for 15 days.
- Have 4 tablets of Natrum Mur 6X thrice a day.
- Wash your hair with B&T anti-dandruff shampoo.
- Use a shampoo that contains tea-tree oil, ketoconazole, and zinc pyrithione. It will definitely reduce the flaking.
- Venome shampoo from Biovalley also is a great option to cure dandruff.
- An anti-dandruff oil by Willmar Schwabe India is a great remedy for dandruff. Apply it on your scalp twice a week and make sure you leave it on overnight.
(As suggested by doctors on Lybrate.com)
Here’s hoping that these pointers have answered all your queries. Let us know if this helps solve your dandruff woes. Please feel free to ask questions and, what’s more, an expert from Lybrate will answer them shortly.
Skiibo - Free Dating & Chat App DOWNLOAD SKIIBO APP