Tears flowed like a river as the remains of four siblings who died from suspected food poisoning were laΣid to rest in Umukonu Umuagu Ohuhu in Umuahia North Local Government Area of Abia State.
The deceased comprising three males and one female, Kelechi, 12, Sunday, 10, Oluomachi, eight (female) and Kingsley (three) were buried on Saturday, September 18.
The siblings, all children of Chibuzo and Chioma Ikwunze were reportedly spending their third term holiday in the home of one Sunday Ugba, their close family friend at Umueze Ibeku, Umuahia North LGA when the incident happened.
The children and Mr Ugba along with two members of his family died after eating Suya with fruit juice on August 24th, 2021. Read previous
Family sources, however, said that the results of the autopsy carried out on them were still being awaited.
muahia Federal Constituency of Abia) and the President-General of Ohuhu Development Union, Chief Obi Aguocha, attended the service
Speaking on the tragedy earlier this month, Mr Ikwunze, an artisan, disclosed that his children were regular guests of the Ogbas in Umueze were they usually spent their holiday season.
He said the late Ogba, who hails from Apañu Item, Bende LGA, has been a close family friend for the past 20 years as both families had lived together at number 17 Ozuitem street extension before the Ogba’s relocated to their own house in Umueze.
According to Mr Ikwunze, the late Ogba, had on Tuesday 24th August, brought home the fruit Juice and the suya which later led to the deaths of three Members of the Ogba family and four members of the Ikwunze’s the following day.
“It was on Thursday last two weeks that my friend called Mr Sunday Ogba (Late) requested me to bring my children at his residence in Umueze for a holiday just as my children normally do after school period which I did on Friday last two weeks,” he narrated.
“The late Sunday and I have known ourselves for the past 20 years having lived together at number 17 Ozuitem street extension before he built his own house at Umueze. He hails from Apañu Item in Bende LGA.
“I and my wife were coming back from my workshop in Umuahia town, when we saw Mr Sunday Ogba buying suya at Uwalaka by Okigwe road in Umuahia but before we could get to him, he drove off with his car.
“It was the following day, 25th being Wednesday, which I would prefer to call Black Wednesday that I received a call that the man, Sunday Ogba is dead, I couldn’t believe. I called my wife who was preparing to go for August meeting, she equally expressed disbelief and suggested that we immediately go to their residence in Umueze and find out things for ourselves.
“I summoned courage and called back the person who informed me of the sad news to get more details and was told that my four children were also dead. On hearing that, we rushed to Umueze where we met a mammoth crowd including the Nigerian Police and it was there I confirmed that my four children were no more
“Information that I got from one of the surviving relation of the late Sunday Ogba, who happens to be his daughter, said her father brought the Suya and three packets of Juice out of which one was given to my kids to share, the other was given to the man’s children to share while the late Sunday consumed the remaining one with his wife
“She said that after consuming the Suya and Fruit Juice, my children requested for boiled yam which was cooked and equally consumed with red oil by the entire household
“I was told that my second child starting crying, complaining of dizziness and later started vomiting of which the wife of the deceased Sunday cleaned up her vomit. After that, other members of the family started reacting the same way and had to drink palm oil. Mrs Ogba Sunday from what i heard slumped at the passage on her way to take her bath and the following morning it was discovered that members of their family including my children were all dead.”
Follow Fashion Style TV on Youtube
Click here for Latest Ankara Styles >> Read More