Click here for Latest Ankara Styles >> Read More
Today, we are going back to basics and using the simple, natural ingredients we all have lurking in our kitchen cupboards to make homemade face masks. You may currently living on a budget or simply too busy to visit a spa for a proper facial? Fortunately for you, there are ingredients right in your kitchen for your own homemade face masks.
Homemade face mask for spots (as well as uneven skin tone, skin elasticity and hydration: Turmeric
Head for your spice rack. There you’ll find turmeric – excellent in curries, but also incredibly high in antioxidants and works brilliantly on inflammation.
1. Mix a teaspoon of the powdered version into a small amount of water to make a paste. For an extra moisture boost, mix with honey.
2. Alternatively finely chop the fresh stuff and add to flour, honey and milk. Mix this into a paste and then apply a thin layer to the skin.
Remember: Too thick a layer can cause your face to turn a little yellow, so use caution.
Homemade face mask for exfoliating: Yoghurt, Cocoa and Honey
Yoghurt contains lactic acid, which is a brilliant natural exfoliator, cocoa reduces irritation and the honey naturally tightens the skin. Plus, the chocolatey leftovers of this DIY face mask are good enough to eat.
1. Rather than adding yoghurt to your muesli in the morning, pop it into a bowl with a tbsp of honey and a tbsp of cocoa powder.
2. If your face is feeling a little rough or you’ve recently had some breakouts, then whack this concoction on for around five to fifteen minutes.
The yoghurt is also packed full of hydrating acids, so it won’t dry out your skin. If you’re skin’s really feeling lacklustre, swap the yoghurt with almond oil.
Homemade face mask for dry skin: Avocado and Banana
It’s the super food that everyone is still going nuts for (there was even an Avocado Cafe in London for a brief, weird, time) and turns out its even more super than you thought. It’s extremely hydrating, you can thank the omega fatty acids for that, and when mashed up with banana (another go-to hydrator, as well as containing vitamin A, which promotes skin-cell turnover) it creates this wonderful squishy blend that people with dry skin will go mad for.
1. Mash half an avocado with one ripe banana and leave on your face for 20 minutes.
Important tip: once you’ve popped it on, try to keep as still as possible, as it doesn’t set like a typical mask.
Homemade face scrub: Lemon and Sugar
When life gives you lemon, make a face mask! For skin that’s looking a little dull and lacklustre, pep it up with a combination of lemon, sugar and olive oil. The sugar will physically slough off dead skin cells, whilst the citric acid in the lemon will naturally exfoliate. If that all sounds a tad harsh, don’t fear; the nourishing olive oil, which is high in vitamin E, will ensure your skin doesn’t feel too stripped.
1. Mix together 1/2 fresh lemon, 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, 1 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tbsp of organic honey and use gentle circular motions to exfoliate the face.
2. Leave on for 5 – 10 minutes and rinse off.
Homemade face mask for brighter skin: Pumpkin
Pumpkins are a great . of beta-carotene antioxidants and vitamins A and D, which are good for hydrated youthful skin.
1. To make four masks (invite your mates over, just like the old sleepover days), mix together around 200 ml of pumpkin puree, 2 tbsp yoghurt, 40g ground almonds, 2 tsp runny honey and a dash of olive oil.
2. Apply to damp, clean skin, then wash off with warm water after 10-15 minutes.
Homemade face mask for spots: Banana and Coconut Oil
Banana is a wonder food. Containing vitamins A, B and E, plus loads of potassium, you could slap on some mashed banana to your face and that’d be job done. Hello, nourished skin. But add coconut oil, and you’ve got a spot-busting mask. Coconut oil contains lauric acid which has natural antibacterial properties which can help to draw out impurities and soothe inflammed skin.
1. Melt down a tbsp of coconut oil and mix in with mashed ripe banana.
2. Apply to face and leave for about 20 minutes (you can for up to 30) before rinsing off.
Skiibo - Free Dating & Chat App DOWNLOAD SKIIBO APP