Nigeria Purchases Six Attack Helicopters to Aid Fight Against Insecurity
Nigeria Purchases Six Attack Helicopters to Aid Fight Against Insecurity: The federal government has purchased six more attack helicopters to boost security efforts against insecurity.
This news comes on the heels of the recent release of five out of the remaining 43 kidnap victims of the Kaduna-Abuja train. The terrorist attack that broke the news, occurred on March 28, 2022, and while many passengers have been released, 39 victims remain in captivity.
Chief Executive Officer of TUSAS, a Turkish aircraft manufacturer, Mr Temel Kotil, on Monday, announced the sale of six T-129 attack helicopters, to Nigeria.
The announcement followed a deal reached with the company by the federal government.
Kotil, who made the announcement on his Twitter handle, however, hinted at the development on CNN Turk.
President Tayipp Edorgan of Turkey recently visited Nigeria and this development may not be unconnected to the visit.
The federal government had recently procured A-29 Super Tucano fighter jets from the United States, even as it had also made similar procurements from Russia and other European countries as the war against insurgency intensifies..
Meanwhile, families of the abducted train passengers, on Monday, laid siege to the federal Ministry of Transportation, and consequently grounded activities.
The families hinted that they were at the ministry to find out what the government had been doing to rescue the remaining passengers abducted over four months ago.
One of the family members, Imran Ahmed, whose brother has been in captivity, said they had lost faith in the government’s commitment to rescuing their loved ones.
“We don’t have confidence in the federal government. This is not the first time the federal government is saying they are on top of the situation. If I remember, I have seen the president’s directives on four occasions, directing the security chiefs that they should do whatever is necessary to rescue our family members.
“But you can imagine, today is 121 days that they have been in captivity. This has been very gruesome for family members. Nigerians should understand that we are not . to see the minister. We are . to get our family members from the ministry that they boarded the train to Kaduna,” he said.
In the same vein, Hadiza Mohammad, said it was unfair that after 121 days, the federal government, has not found any meaningful ways of rescuing the remaining victims, and wondered why the people in government, especially, the wife of the president, Aisha Buhari, had remained silent.
Also, Aisha Musa, mother of one of the abductees, Hafsat Abdullahi, who is being held captive with her two-year-old child, narrated her ordeal.
“When her children saw the video yesterday, the first son fainted. Now he is in the hospital. When this thing happened, we thought she was dead. We did not hear from them since they said they killed some. We went to Forty-four hospital in Kaduna. They gave us a list of those who were dead and accident victims. She was not among the corpses in the mortuary,” she said.
According to her, It was two days later that the abductors called her husband and spoke to her. That was the day we heard their voices last till today.
At about 11:45 am, the Minister of Transportation, Mu’azu Sambo, came to address the protesters and said he had just resumed office and would require some time to address the issue.
The minister also requested for the contacts of the affected families and promised to be in communication with them henceforth.
Sambo, while speaking further, said, “My first intention was to hold a dialogue with you and empathise with you. The government is made up of individuals. We have families. We feel for the families of this unfortunate incident.
“I want to tell you, please, give me the opportunity, let me resume in this office. This will be the first matter I am going to tackle by the grace of God. I have asked God to guide me, to lead me in this assignment, and I know God will not fail me and God will not fail Nigeria. You have been very patient. The government itself has not been sleeping from enquiries I have made.
“I took time to come . this morning, because I wanted to get in touch with the right people, who have been handling this issue. T. are some things you don’t say in public. I’m sure you appreciate that. But I want to beg for one thing: I have just resumed and I’m going to receive the necessary briefings this morning. I want you to give me time.
“In the meantime, I want contact names and addresses. If you have a formal association with telephone numbers that I can reach, I can assure you that we are going to be in constant engagement until this matter is sorted out, until every single person in captivity goes back home to his family members.”
Latest Naija News
Follow Ankara Styles TV on Youtube
Click here for Latest Ankara Styles >> Read More